OM-D - to sell or not to sell?

Started Jan 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
junyeu
Regular MemberPosts: 227
Like?
Re: OM-D - to sell or not to sell?
In reply to texinwien, Jan 30, 2013

texinwien wrote:

If you decide to stay with m43 a bit, I'd sell the 20mm and pick up a Panasonic 14mm pancake (small, cheap, decent quality, 28mm equivalent FOV) and either a 45mm or 60mm Olympus prime (both good quality, cover your longer FOVs, and the 60mm is a true macro lens, if that's important to you). Another option would be the Panasonic 45mm - a nice, sharp lens with dedicated macro functionality, but more expensive than the Olympus model.

I agree, pick up the Panasonic 14mm pancake. Compared to the 20mm it is not as bright and marginally not as sharp. But you get much faster focusing and smaller size. But most of all I noticed a difference in the rendering of the images. Shots from the 20mm while sharp are usually quite flat, both contrast and colour. The 14mm is more neutral in this regard. If you are willing to spend more, have a look at the 12-35mm 2.8.

I would also recommend the 25mm 1.4. Unlike the 45mm lenses or higher in FL it is much easier to get used to if you haven't had experience with a short tele prime. It also gives your omd crazy low light performance and a nice shallow depth of field to work with. While pancake lenses are convenient, they usually have some drawbacks.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
RxNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow