Looking for advice about RX1 or Fuji X-E1 and what to expect coming from a DSLR.

Started Jan 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Cervello
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Looking for advice about RX1 or Fuji X-E1 and what to expect coming from a DSLR.
Jan 30, 2013

Hi!

This is my first message here but I've been following this great board for some time, mainly cause I'm interested in buying a Sony RX1, but I'm still pretty uncertain: it's a pretty expensive "jump" and a lot different from my previous camera. So I'm here kindly asking for advices from real users and more experts photographers.

MY SETUP:

My present gear is a DSRL Pentax k10d + 16-45, so you can tell I'm no pro but I do love taking street photos and trip photos and I enjoyed this camera and lens a lot over the years, BUT I'm feeling it's now outdated and mostly on my last trip to Japan it felt as a heavy tool to take around all day. In Tokyo I tried a nex 7 with zeiss 24mm and felt in love with it's image quality and lightweight. EVF felt quite weird and not very good but overall the camera looked great.

MY NEEDS:

A very sharp, top IQ, lightweight camera to carry around as much as possible.

MY SHOOTING HABITS:

I'm mainly used to shoot wide so this is the main reason I'm still unsure about the rx1: not being able to shoot 24mm equiv like on my pentax. I guess that is mostly caused by some kind of "zoom lens laziness" and I got into the habit of not framing or thinking much and shooting a lot at widest angle possible, and on the other hand I'm eager to try a fixed lens so that I'm forced to think and compose more.

I'm not quite interested in anything longer than a 35mm lens.

I DON'T like changing lenses. I used to carry with me also a 80-300 but I seldom used it and it simply broke my spine with the added weight on all day long walking trips.

MY CHOICES:

After a lot of reading I came down to 2 models I'm really torn between for different reasons:

Sony RX1 and Fuji X-E1+18-55 zoom.

Both high IQ cameras, both light weight and both very sharp.

MY PERSONAL EVALUATION:
Sony RX1-higher IQ-FF on a small body-forces me to a fixed prime lens taking me out of the zoom lazy habit-better built quality and smaller
Fuji X-E1+18-55-Great IQ-Zoom lens giving me more flexibility-Wide angle option having a 28mm equiv-a lot cheaper
MY DOUBTS:Even if I'm coming from a(n old) DSLR I'm a bit afraid also I will still miss the optical viewfinder and the AF speed. My camera is pretty old (2007) and it's not very fast with AF but I read A LOT of people here complains about mirrorless AF speed, so I'm suddently afraid I won't be able anymore to shoot moving cars, people on the street, pets and so on. It sounds quite unusual cause that will defy the whole point of great street shooters I've heard heard these cameras are, but nonetheless I'd like to ask you what's the AF speed limit, what I won't be able to shoot well. I don't want a camera to shoot only still subjects, if that's the case I'll stick to a dslr but I hope AF speed will be at least on par with my old pentax.
HELP:So what do you think given my situation will be the best choice? Is 35mm shooting too much of a jump and does it feel too narrow compared to a 28mm?
Thank you SO MUCH for reading my wall of text.I'm really sure I can find a great help from you guys here.Please forgive my english mistakes, it's not my mother language.Thanks again.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow