PIX 2015

Looking for advice about RX1 or Fuji X-E1 and what to expect coming from a DSLR.

Started Jan 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Cervello
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Looking for advice about RX1 or Fuji X-E1 and what to expect coming from a DSLR.
Jan 30, 2013

Hi!

This is my first message here but I've been following this great board for some time, mainly cause I'm interested in buying a Sony RX1, but I'm still pretty uncertain: it's a pretty expensive "jump" and a lot different from my previous camera. So I'm here kindly asking for advices from real users and more experts photographers.

MY SETUP:

My present gear is a DSRL Pentax k10d + 16-45, so you can tell I'm no pro but I do love taking street photos and trip photos and I enjoyed this camera and lens a lot over the years, BUT I'm feeling it's now outdated and mostly on my last trip to Japan it felt as a heavy tool to take around all day. In Tokyo I tried a nex 7 with zeiss 24mm and felt in love with it's image quality and lightweight. EVF felt quite weird and not very good but overall the camera looked great.

MY NEEDS:

A very sharp, top IQ, lightweight camera to carry around as much as possible.

MY SHOOTING HABITS:

I'm mainly used to shoot wide so this is the main reason I'm still unsure about the rx1: not being able to shoot 24mm equiv like on my pentax. I guess that is mostly caused by some kind of "zoom lens laziness" and I got into the habit of not framing or thinking much and shooting a lot at widest angle possible, and on the other hand I'm eager to try a fixed lens so that I'm forced to think and compose more.

I'm not quite interested in anything longer than a 35mm lens.

I DON'T like changing lenses. I used to carry with me also a 80-300 but I seldom used it and it simply broke my spine with the added weight on all day long walking trips.

MY CHOICES:

After a lot of reading I came down to 2 models I'm really torn between for different reasons:

Sony RX1 and Fuji X-E1+18-55 zoom.

Both high IQ cameras, both light weight and both very sharp.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow