Started Jan 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
PhotoKhan
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,872Gear list
Like?
Re: B&H selling products: Question for Mr. Henry Posner
In reply to henryp, Jan 30, 2013

henryp wrote:

gamarala wrote:

Can you explain or give examples of "individual circumstances" where returns go back on the self?

More recently we sold a scanner to a customer who complained bitterly we'd sent him non-working garbage. Turns out his OS was newer than the manufacturer's included drivers would support. Before he returned it I found the updated drivers online, instructed him now to download and install them and then said if that didn't solve his problem a return would be no-questions-asked. Driver solved his problem snicker-snack.

You understand that this problem does not stem from the same sources as your other examples, don't you?

While examples related to the change in compartment opening design and the flash Xsync speed ignorance can be entirely attributed to the users fault in educating themselves with the written instructions for goods they set out to purchase, the above problem results from an approach set forth by the IT/Software industry in the last decades, one that is "design flawed" to create problems.

The IT/Softare industries claimed for themselves the right to ship products that require from the consumer the extra final step of connecting to the Web to get software updates, patches and/or drivers for the packaged purchase product to actually work.

If it still doesn't, the users are required to contact a support lines that might, or might not work in order to spent their time trying to fix the product sold by the manufacturer.

Were so immersed in this imposed culture that we blindly accepted it without even questioning how commercial unfair it is to one side - The consumer.

...and yet, it is simple to realize how inadmissible this is by just porting this very same approach to another tangible good, say, a car.

I am professionally deeply involved in Flight Safety and Safety Management Systems, an area where we constantly depart from actual incidences, backtracking into the procedures and initial designs to sort out shortcomings in safety pre-active and post-fact containment barriers.

Knowing where the actual source for a safety incident stems from is crucial to effective risk management.

I can tell you that, in this particular case, the problem does not come from non-tech-savvy product users but rather from the standard manufacturer/consumer relations we, as a society, have been "magic spelled" into allowing "new-technology-amazing-world" sellers to exempt themselves.

PK

-- hide signature --

“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(PBase Supporter)
-------------------------------------------------

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow