How many would choose stellar 50mm f/2 IS over a mediocre 50mm f/1.4/1.2?

Started Jan 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
akustykmagmanetpl
Contributing MemberPosts: 592Gear list
Like?
Re: You raise an interesting point.
In reply to Great Bustard, Jan 30, 2013

I think your idea has merit: a 135 / 2.8 IS that is smaller and lighter than a 135 / 2L, and has IS. Very much like the 35 / 2 IS vs the 35 / 1.4. Who knows -- it might even be in the works.

I think they already have a design like this. it's actually very easy focal length in terms of optics, the only problem can be whether the compromise between optical quality (big selling point for wedding and glamour ppl) and presence of IS (absolute selling point for Canon marketoids) is where Canon sees it on the market.

nevertheless.. there seems to be a place for such a lens for me. choice between 135/2 (pretty big and expensive) and 135/2.8 (old, average mechanics, fair optics) is not spectacular, especially taking into account this focal lens just screams for image stabilization...

akustykmagmanetpl's gear list:akustykmagmanetpl's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow