OM-D - to sell or not to sell?

Started Jan 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
texinwien
Senior MemberPosts: 2,650Gear list
Like?
Re: OM-D - to sell or not to sell?
In reply to BorisGil, Jan 30, 2013

Hi Boris, not knowing your budget makes things a little difficult, but here are my thoughts:

First, I'd suggest spending a little more time with m43 before leaving it altogether. With the current bodies that are available, and with your requirement for a swivel screen and/or viewfinder + a pocketable model, you might want to have a look at the E-PL5 or the previous-generation E-PL3. Otherwise, you may want to stick with the E-M5 for a bit, and see what Olympus and Panasonic announce as their next models - a Panasonic GX2 could be interesting for you, if they add a viewfinder or swivel screen. Perhaps an Olympus E-P5, as well, depending on its specs.

If you decide to stay with m43 a bit, I'd sell the 20mm and pick up a Panasonic 14mm pancake (small, cheap, decent quality, 28mm equivalent FOV) and either a 45mm or 60mm Olympus prime (both good quality, cover your longer FOVs, and the 60mm is a true macro lens, if that's important to you). Another option would be the Panasonic 45mm - a nice, sharp lens with dedicated macro functionality, but more expensive than the Olympus model.

If you decide to stay with the E-M5 for a while, I'd have a look at third-party grips, as well as the Olympus one. There are a few third party grips that get good reviews and are significantly cheaper than the one from Olympus - google J. Milich, J & B and Really Right Stuff for some examples.

As an aside, the Sony NEX and Samsung NX , models are all 3x2, AFAIK, so if 4x3 is your preference, you should keep that in mind. I doubt that making a switch to either of these formats will magically fix things for you, but I could be wrong.

In the end, the choice is yours - if you aren't having fun with the E-M5, and don't think you'll be able to, you should sell it and move on. It's an outstanding camera, and I have owned one since April, but I am well aware that it isn't for everyone. The most important thing is that you find a combination of camera and lens(es) that makes photography fun for you again. Anything else is a waste of money and time.

tex

texinwien's gear list:texinwien's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
RxNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow