Started Jan 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
markwp
Regular MemberPosts: 353Gear list
Like?
RX-1 first thoughts
Jan 30, 2013

25 years a Minolta/KM/Sony shooter, this cam piqued my interest upon first announcement.

Having tried several compacts in the digital era, none met my needs too well. I grew up shooting with my Dad's old Rollei 35 SE and Leica M2, and was not willing to invest in the current crop of Leicas, so have made do with my DSLRs in large part.

I have shot dual system the last decade, currently Canon/Sony. Lenses matter far more than bodies to me, so I have settled upon these two due to the Sony Zeiss AF lenses, and Canon 1.2 primes and overall lens range.

So I see the RX-1 as a way to travel with two bodies, but thankfully, just one DSLR and lens kit. This takes a few kilos off my kit and allows carry-on only, a major boon as I fly many dozen times each year.

I also see it as way to shoot high quality shots in some circumstances which a DSLR would not favor: night shooting in sketchy spots, certain clubs/events, etc..

I'll spare the forum my test shots, but will post samples of my coming month is South America, hitting Easter Island, Rio Carnival, Galapagos, etc.

First impressions: Solid chunk of gear, build quality on par with Zeiss lenses (having just used the new Zeiss 15mm 2.8, reminds me of that). AF seems adequate thus far, but remains to be put to a true test. Silent shutter a major advantage. Menu system OK, back LCD display options cluttered.

I see these as necessary accessories: EVF: best I've ever used; never though I'd say it, but appears as good as through-the-lens. Tiltalble flexibility makes this superior to built-in EVFs I've used on other compacts. Sony leather half-case improves handling, with the full case providing perfect protection. Get a wrist strap (I'm, using an era 1962 Rollei strap :), two extra batteries, ext charger, 2X 64GB SDXC Lexar cards.

So, final judgement pending full field testing, but impressive thus far. I can't really see this as comparable to most compacts, but rather as an alternative to Leica m8/9 10? or Nex 5/7 with Zeiss lens, and as such a good option to consider.

-- hide signature --

Markwp www.pbase.com/markwp

markwp's gear list:markwp's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow