x100 now or x100S on Feb 18th?

Started Jan 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,729Gear list
Like?
Re: x100 now or x100S on Feb 18th?
In reply to Jonny Y, Jan 30, 2013

Jonny Y wrote:

According to Amazon UK, the x100s will be available on Feb 18th. That sounds early, given what else I've read on these forums and elsewhere, but it's an indication and should be along soon. So the question is what to go for.

I've seen an x100 here in Shanghai, supposedly new (looked it) but obviously grey market, for the equivalent of 480 GBP. Amazon UK lists the 100s as costing a shade under 1100 GBP. So, massive difference.

Price is definitely a concern for me and I would be stretching like crazy to afford the 100s. I guess I'm looking for some x100 owners to tell me that I wouldn't be disappointed in an x100!

I'm very much an amateur, and a lapsed one at that. I'm drawn to the x100 due to the manual controls (which would slow me down and make me think again, after years of snap shots on fully automatic cameras) and the much vaunted image quality. I WOULD like great MF performance but I could probably cope without it.

Any advice please? To stretch myself financially or not?

Personally, I think it would be wise to wait. Unless you plan to use the camera lots in the next two months I think you'll be buying a depreciating product. The x100 is £549 (including 20% VAT) new from wex here in the uk and that price will fall further once the x100s is released. Also, as others have said, the sensor on the x100 is showing its age now a little.

All of that tells me the x100 would need to be south of £400 sterling for this to be a good deal.

Update, I've just seen that Clifton cameras in the uk has dropped the x100 to £529. So I think your depreciation continues apace. I should put my hand up and say I'm an x100 owner who is selling his for the x100s.

Look, why not wait until late feb, early march? If you really want an x100 they'll be cheaper by then.

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Nikon D810
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow