Need advice re long telephoto lenses

Started Jan 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 25,913
Like?
Re: Thanks from OP
In reply to Rod McD, Jan 30, 2013

Rod,

If you are in a hurry to get a lens, then might I suggest this smc PENTAX FA* 300mm f/4.5 ED IF Exc+ that is being sold by Matsuiyastore on ebay. IMO the price is OK and I have bought from Matsuiyastore before with no problems. In fact I bought my FA*400/5.6 from them.

You can pair that lens with a 1.4X teleconverter and it will do very, very well. Greyser uses the Tamron-F 1.4X Pz_AF TC. I use the Tamron 1.4X PZ_Af, or the Kenko 1.5X PZ_Af, or the Vivitar Series 1 1.4X with my FA*300/4.5 lens. If the Tamron 1.4X or the Kenko 1.5X is too expensive for you to swing then you can use the new Vivitar Series 1 1.4X TC and it will be almost as good as the used Tamron 1.4X or Kenko 1.5X.

If you go by way of the Pentax FA*300/4.5 then there are ways to attach a tripod mounting ring. I won't go into that right now but will if/when you decide to act or not.

BTW: To answer another of your questions that you asked in the OP, the FA*300/4.5 will work OK in good light with the Pentax-F 1.7X AF Adapter. I do not recommend buying the Pentax-F 1.7X AF Adapter for anything slower than f4.5 lenses. However, if you already have the Pentax-F 1.7X AF Adapter then there is nothing to stop you from experimenting with lenses that are slower then f4.5 aperture. I have and I still do.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'
'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow