Need advice re long telephoto lenses

Started Jan 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,213Gear list
Like?
Re: Thanks from OP
In reply to Markbrumbaugh, Jan 30, 2013

Hi,

My thanks to everyone who responded.  So much detailed information - no doubt the voice of experience.  It looks like there are quite a few options out there.  I hadn't expected anyone to suggest the Q or the bridge cameras.  It seems that AF and AE are very much the preferred combination, although there are a few users of older MF lenses.

It seems that one of the difficulties is finding some of the better Pentax lenses and better TP lenses in Pentax mount.  I just missed the good APO 400 Sigma in an e-Bay auction - it's the only one I've ever seen on offer.   I've also never seen an FA400mm....... Or a Sigma 100-300/4 in Pentax......

Perhaps Pentax will announce their  longer zoom on the road map, but I don't know the quality grade or aperture, or whether the roadmap has much to do with where they're headed with lenses right now.  (You'd have to allow that they're busy designing FF lenses to fill the gaps in the range).

I suppose an entirely different philosophy might be to buy an excellent lens in any brand and get a suitable cheap body.  The lens is the investment, not the camera.  OTOH, I'd prefer to stick with my K5.

Thanks again,  Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow