x100 now or x100S on Feb 18th?

Started Jan 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rob13
Senior MemberPosts: 1,116Gear list
Like?
Re: x100 now or x100S on Feb 18th?
In reply to Jonny Y, Jan 30, 2013

Newer is usually better than older, and I don't see the X100s being an exception to that general comment.

At the present time, the RAW file from the Xtrans sensors haven't been worked out, so that might be an important consideration.

If I was buying for the 1st time, I wouldn't blink and go for the X100s, because of the:

• faster start-up time,
  • better menu system (& Q button),
  • faster focusing,
  • usable manual focus tools.

If I went X100, I'd always be wondering if I am missing something from the X100s (which is basically the purpose of your post) and knowing that the X100s going to be faster and better in almost all respects.

But, I've been using the X100 since it 1st came out, and am accustomed and have accepted its quirkiness and lived thru the firmware upgrades.  Its a lot better now than before.  So having gone thru the process of just plain very slow (in low light), I'm now much happier with how it performs now.

I'm also very happy with the RAW files from the X100 and I can pp them quite readily.  (Not so happy with the RAW from X-Pro1, so I'm sure I wouldn't be overly excited over the X100s RAW files as well, however, if you are a jpeg-man then its not a consideration)

At this time, I don't think my photography is going to be that much better with the X100s over the X100.  Sure its nicer to have the X100s, but for myself, while undoubtedly, I'd enjoy the X100s improved usability, the difference for me is not that great.

I'll chase the Next Next version, if there is something that makes it more special to me.

For yourself, if you can afford it without starving yourself, go for the X100s, otherwise you might always be wondering how much happier you'd be with the X100s.

-- hide signature --

Best,
Rob
------------------------------------
R3A M7 M9 X-Pro1 E-M5 X100 DP2

Rob13's gear list:Rob13's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Samsung Galaxy S4 Sony Xperia ZR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow