Happy Birthday to me! Being gifted a laptop - now what do I get?

Started Jan 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
lbuclk=
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,532Gear list
Like?
Re: Happy Birthday to me! Being gifted a laptop - now what do I get?
In reply to JoannaR, Jan 30, 2013

Chancelynn2002 wrote:

My laptop is about 5 years old and on its last legs, so as a very generous birthday gift my mother is offering to buy me a new one. I'm going legitimately into business by the end of the year and need something for in-person sales.

(No Macs. Sorry. Waaaayyy too expensive, though I know they're awesome.)
Now here's what I need and hopefully ya'll can point me in the right direction. I'm looking to keep this less than $800 (she didn't give me a price point, but I won't ask her for more than that).

~ 17"< screen

~ Minimum 2 USB ports

~ Power to run, say, 5-7 programs at once (Photoshop, other editing stuff, Microsoft Office, etc.)

~ CF card acceptance would be nice

I haven't shopped for a laptop in years and my desktop was built by a friend so I really don't know what I need. Any suggestions are very welcome!

I'm in the market for a new laptop, only I'm not going to run that many programs at once. as for a cf reader, an external reader will do, along with another external 500- 1t HD and another netbook ( my 2 year old 500gb netbook is down to 19gb....filled with 700+ books, magazines, 120 videos.) It fills the need of a tablet, very few photos. The brands I will be looking at are: Asus, HP,Toshiba, Dell.

-- hide signature --

28 years as a freelancer,(news,magazine, wedding photography) camera equip. over the years: Practica MLT, Canon A1, Minolta 9xi, 7xi, Dimage Z1,Fuji 5200,Canon S2,Pentax K100D,Olympus 380,Canon SX 10, Canon 40D ( http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v104/Buckl/ )
http://issuu.com/Lbuck

lbuclk='s gear list:lbuclk='s gear list
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow