Exposure control in a raw developer: misnomer?

Started Jan 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Detail Man
Forum ProPosts: 15,000
Like?
Re: I'd argue that scene luminescence is the misnomer
In reply to jcharding, Jan 30, 2013

jcharding wrote:

It assumes that the photographer seeks some nirvana of perfectly exposed scene where luminescence actually matters mathematically.

Here's what the word that you used actually means:

Luminescence is emission of light by a substance not resulting from heat; it is thus a form of cold body radiation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luminescence

I disagree with Detail Man, as usual, ...

Then I must be a reliable indicator of some sort, then. Glad to know that I provide some direction.

... and argue that ISO remains third point of the triangle.

Could you possibly define the specific origins of "the triangle", and speak to it's scholarly accuracy ?

All three of aperture, shutter speed and ISO are photographer decisions. Made to move towards whatever that person wants to photograph.

They are camera settings only. You demonstrate yourself in the images that you posted that your eye seeks differing amounts of rendered output Image Brightness in different images. Thus, you are (whether you like it or not) implicitly subject to Scene Luminance as a factor that influences your choice of camera settings (such as F-Number, Shutter Speed) and/or processor/editor settings.

Scene luminescence, or scene brightness, isnt a photographic decision. It simply is. It affects the shot, but isn't something the photographer can generally change short of turning on a bunch of lights.

A light bulb just "went off" somewhere ...

... Scene luminescence only matters in that how it affects tyour ISO, shutter speed, and aperture values.

ISO setting to reach some Image Brightness only matters in how it is affected by Scene Luminance.

Do you care about noise.

Image Signal/Noise Ratio is precisely why (some) photographers care about (the real) Exposure. You have made my point (about differences between light and ISO setting being ignored) beautifully.

Do you care about subject matter motion. Do you care about depth of field. A lot of the time the goal is not to perfectly and mathematically accomplish something.

What are you arguing for ? Being blithely unaware of all of the above parameters ? Is that better ?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow