I'm new to photography and to this forum. Looking for some tip on taking pictures.

Started Jan 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
GPapa
Senior MemberPosts: 1,693
Like?
Definitely room to improve . . .
In reply to postman1227, Jan 30, 2013

You have a good eye and good timing.

I would start with the settings in your camera.

Shutter: 1/250

Aperture: f/8

ISO: 3200

Volleyball requires very high shutter speed. I have trouble stopping volleyball action using a Canon 7D at ISO 6400 with an f/2.8 70-200 lens in the gyms I shoot in. That is just how it is.

You will need to balance shutter speed and aperture with your A-300. Keep the ISO at 3200. F/8 is a bit much though for sports, but it gives you some room to adjust if you have the right lens. With your eye and timing you could do very well with something like an 85mm f/1.8 lens.

I may get this wrong but I will try anyway. If you open up to f/4 you should be able to shoot with 1/500 shutter speed. Much better for stopping the action.

If you can open up to f/2, you should be able to get more natural exposure and perhaps a bit more shutter speed as well.

At f/2 you will probably get fewer shots where you nail the focus, but when you do they will be worth the trade.

One of the first rules is do not under expose. So, I guess I would adjust the aperture until the photos are well exposed first, then increase the shutter speed as much as possible.

The photos you posted are under exposed and trying to pull detail out of shadows is usually a bad thing. However, with the Sony you have better results than I do with the Canon sensor. If pulling detail out of shadows works with a Sony camera then by all means take advantage of it.

And please do post more photos along with information on the settings and equipment you are using.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow