Need advice re long telephoto lenses

Started Jan 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
JeffAHayes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,968Gear list
Like?
Re: Need advice re long telephoto lenses
In reply to audiobomber, Jan 30, 2013

The difference between a 300mm f4 prime and 1.4X TC is 1/2 stop, f6.3 vs. 5.6, which matters to me. What I find is that I sometimes don't even have enough light for decent shutter speeds at f5.6, in the woods, or in twilight. The advantage with my 300mm primes is that I can remove the TC and I have a 300mm f4 lens again. OTOH, the Bigma is still f6.3 at 300mm, 1-1/2 stops behind. This versatility (longer & slower vs. shorter & faster) is something I need for my particular shooting conditions.

-- hide signature --

Dan

Well that's why I have both, Dan (I very much agree that if I don't need much more than 300 mm I'm not going to use the Bigma). Then again, I sort of stretched my budget AND used 12-months-same-as-cash and/or a new credit card with 1.5-year no-interest to buy all my stuff. The 0% interest is about to run out on that credit card, but it's almost paid off -- even after I added another $1,100 to it last fall when I got the DA* 300. I still have my accounts with Amazon and Newegg, though, and I've managed to get almost every lens I want in the meantime. Future cameras may be a bit tricky, though, lol.

Jeff

-- hide signature --

A word is worth 1/1000th of a picture... Maybe that's why I use so many words!

JeffAHayes's gear list:JeffAHayes's gear list
Pentax WG-3 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow