Started Jan 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Marianne Oelund
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,491Gear list
Like?
EN-EL18: Not sure I care for this battery chemistry
Jan 30, 2013

January-February is the inactive period for my commercial photography, and my D3s and D4 cameras and their batteries have been sitting unused since mid-December.  At that time, I had all of my batteries charged and ready for use.

Today, I was interested in updating at least one of my D4's with the new ver. 1.04 firmware.  Pulled one D4 out of the bag:  Dead battery.  Pulled second D4 out of the bag:  Top LCD comes on, but with flashing low-battery warning, and I can't open the menu.  Pulled spare EN-EL18 out of the bag and inserted into a D4 body:  Dead battery.  Disappointing, to say the least.

On the other hand, all four of my EN-EL4/a batteries for my D3s bodies are still showing nearly full charge, after sitting idle for the same period of time!

Regarding capacity, the new battery type has done fine, but this self-discharge characteristic is just growing my list of D4 annoyances.

-- hide signature --

Qualities possessed by God in infinite proportion: Love, Grace, Power, Righteousness, Wisdom, . . .
Qualities possessed by humans in infinite proportion: Ignorance.
- Marianne

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow