Started Jan 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Sam Carleton
Senior MemberPosts: 1,961Gear list
Like?
D3200 vs D300 for studio shot?
Jan 30, 2013

I have been shooting this annual group shot of about 160~200 people each year.  It is very controlled, lite with strobes, camera on a tripod, using the Nikkor 17-35/2.8 lens.  Over the years I have been using a D300, but now with the D3200 at twice the resolution, I am wondering if it is time to "upgrade" for this one shot.  This one picture makes me a nice sum of money, so investing in a 600 USD camera is small potato's, if it is going to really improve the image quality.

The the service one would think that the 24MP sensor of the D3200 will beat the 12MP sensor of the D300 all day long, considering all the pro features of the D300 do not come into play.  I am just wondering if there is something I am not taking into account that would actually make the 12MP a better choice.  I figured I would ask and be safe then assume and be foolish:)

Sam
developer of Photo Parata the event presentation software http://www.PhotoParata.com

Sam Carleton's gear list:Sam Carleton's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow