Does one software program, or another, work better with Canon images

Started Jan 29, 2013 | Questions thread
Rick Knepper
Forum ProPosts: 10,126Gear list
Like?
Re: Does one software program, or another, work better with Canon images
In reply to Dale Garman, Jan 30, 2013

Dale Garman wrote:

we all respond from our own experience and point of view, so here is my journey. I started out with Capture One, then wen to Adobe CS. I eventually ended up with a copy of LR and couldn't figure it out at first. But once I learned how to use it, I love it and rarely use CS anymore and find the workflow very efficient. It has the additional advantage of providing pretty robust digital asset management (not a small thing as you begin to get more pictures) and if you use good keyword discipline early one, it is very helpful. The publish tools and outpout management toosl are really good. With it's lower price of 149 I consider it a no brainer. I have been recommending it as a starting point.

One of the most useful books I have found on sharpening is Real world sharpening by Bruce Fraser

and Jeff Schewe. I found it interesting that their preferred method of sharpening is built into the LR workflow and that was a tremndous benefit once I learned how to use it.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/8219582047/raw-converter-showdown-capture-one-pro-7-dxo-optics-pro-8-and-lightroom-4

DPReview just published a raw converter comparison, don't know if you saw it or not, but LR compares quite favorably to the others (DPP wasn't included I assume because it is oreinted toward Canon only). The easiest thing for color is to include an 18% gray scale card in one of the your captures and use that to help with color balance (a dropper in LR and most RAW converters)

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/8219582047/raw-converter-showdown-capture-one-pro-7-dxo-optics-pro-8-and-lightroom-4

Sometimes I need CS, some of the things you can't do in LR (at least as far as I can tell);

• content aware fill
  • more detailed cloning
  • Perspective cropping
  • combining of multiple images for panorama or HDR, or focusing
  • combining of multiple images for adjustment purposes
  • and a million very detailed editing processes that you may use on a handful of photos

Here's what you don't get if you use Elements (excerpts from ProDesignTools.com):

• Puppet Warp
  • Pen Tool (vector drawing & selections)
  • Content-Aware Fill
  • Content-Aware Move, Extend, and Patch
  • 64-bit support (for performance)
  • HDR Toning and HDR Pro
  • Video editing
  • Paths Palette
  • Vanishing Point Tool
  • Intelligent selection & masking
  • History Brush
  • Curves
  • Full 16-bit RGB
  • Blur Gallery for creating artistic blurs
  • Creating custom Actions (scripting)
  • Full Layer Groups (Sets) and Styles
  • Layer Search and Filtering
  • Type Styles and Paragraph Styles
  • Smart Objects, Filters, and Guides
  • Color Balance and Match Color
  • Channels Palette and Channel Mixer
  • Slice Tool (Web graphics)
  • Automatic Lens Correction
  • Adaptive Wide Angle Lens Correction
  • Warp Transform Tool
  • 3D objects – images & text
  • Pixel Bender plug-in
  • CMYK and Lab color models
  • Skin-Aware Masking with Face Detection
  • Mercury Graphics Engine for blazing speed
  • Quantitative data extraction
  • Hundreds of export formats
  • Import/export custom presets and settings
  • Background Save, Auto-Save, Crash Recovery
  • Adjustments & controls for everything

Here's what you don't get if you use LR:

"Lightroom is not for performing detailed raster-level editing, creating images from scratch, compositing multiple images (like panoramas or collages), using layers, adding text (except for watermarking), drawing shapes, editing objects out of a photos, complex cloning & healing, or many of the other capa­bilities Photoshop has. However, many thousands of serious photographers use Lightroom very efficiently every day for 90% of their needs, and then pop out to tightly-integrated Photoshop [CS6] for the rest (retouching and post-processing)."

(Every photo I edit has mutilpe layers activated with Actions. )

Another tidbit that some may not know:

"Interestingly, all products in the Photoshop family share the same underlying image processing technology to ensure consistent and compatible results across applications that support raw processing. This is called the Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) plug-in and it’s packaged in with Photoshop CS, Photoshop Elements, and Lightroom. This is the interface where support for new camera models and lens profiles is added, so Adobe updates this plugin on a regular basis (about every 3-4 months)."

One last thing:

"So if you want the photographer’s workflow to manage thousands of images with ease then you’re talking about Lightroom, but you want to perfect a single image with the “gold standard” professional editing & finishing tool then you’re talking about Photoshop. The two products complement each other and together comprise a complete image processing system."

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
DPPNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow