RAW and Settings on OMD

Started Jan 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
Nudibranco
Regular MemberPosts: 200Gear list
Like?
Re: RAW and Settings on OMD
In reply to Gregm61, Jan 30, 2013

Gregm61 wrote:

Yes, Olympus Viewer applies all your in- camera settings to raw files in the converter on opening. It is the only program I know that does that.

If you use raw capture, do not use Viewer and want something anywhere close on the cameras back LCD to look like what you will see when you download the file, do not mess with the gradation setting. leave it on normal. The problem is, what is "normal"? Normal is not "off". I can understand how different SW makers imterpret the files differently.

Thanks.  Actually my Olympus Viewer ver. 1.42 opens without in camera settings applied to the images on the PC screen (!).  It tells me what setting  I used but it does not display it in the image (it just mentions in a box what I used).  More... the image and Histogram are  set as NORMAL.  All images show as NORMAL when I open them (and you can set them as you want later...) even if you shoot them with other settings.

But... I use LR and ACDSEE not VIEWER.  And I shoot mainly  underwater images  with biggest issues revolving around noise iin the shadow areas.   So, almost casually, I found that using LOW gradation pictures were best in that scenario.  Also in well lit land shots I often find it gives me better contrast/saturation especially in the blue skies.

I had to understand a bit more this issue.  Now I know that the SW I am using will indeed display a big difference not only on my camera but also on my PC when I am processing.  I also found out that VIEWER seems for now the only source to recover back the RAW file completely.

Thanks to all that contributed to this.!!:-D

Nudibranco's gear list:Nudibranco's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow