Started Jan 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
miles green
Senior MemberPosts: 3,555Gear list
Like?
Re: Need advice re long telephoto lenses
In reply to Arijit Banerjee, Jan 29, 2013

Arijit Banerjee wrote:

Rod McD wrote:

• The Pentax 55-300 is the cheap option, but 300mm is its poorest performing FL.
.Don't write off the 55-300mm. It is an excellent lens and I have had fun times with my DA L version! and it is way better than anything else (those 70-300mm s on offer) of its class
  • I might be able to afford a used FA or DA 300mm at around $800-1100. They seem to have excellent reports. They're only 300mm, but are AF, and both have excellent IQ.
The DA* 300mm and its FA/ F siblings are lenses as good as any. You will not regret it, and since it is your first foray in the world of birding, perhaps the best option.
I would love to see that new TC, but then the 300mm f4 alone is a helluva lens.
Frankly even with a monster like that 800mm Nikon has just announced, birds will be tough. There always will be a bird or an animal or something - bit far away. If you don't nurture good field craft... 300, 560 nothing will matter.

A very good point! I'm thinking a hide will improve my pics more than anything else. And some time and patience...
Miles

Start off with the 55-300mm, and then take a call.
and why on earth is everything in red?:-x
yellow!?
pink...
Ehhhmmmm....
I apologize
for getting
carried away..
No more colors, i checked

-- hide signature --

Arijit

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow