Pancake/Prime Lens Shopping

Started Jan 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
Charles Pike
Senior MemberPosts: 1,161Gear list
Like?
Re: Pancake/Prime Lens Shopping
In reply to tjdean01, Jan 29, 2013

I own 14 mm, 20 mm, 25 mm, 14-45 mm and the 45-200 mm lens, and I am done buying more lens.  Each has its own purpose.  I use the 14 mm, 20 mm 25 mm for shooting street.  I used the 14 mm lens on my camera at the Democratic National Convention, because the street was so crowded.  When I normally go uptown, I have the 20 mm and it has been on my camera most of the time.  Both of these lens are sharp, and I have not had any trouble with either of them.  I just received the 25 mm last night, and took it up town to try it out.  The circus just had its elephant walk uptown, and these were the first photos that I have taken with this new lens.  My first impressions is that you could cut yourself on the sharpness that it gives.  I had set my ISO to 400, and in open shade it selected 1/1250 sec at f/2.0.  That is closing the f stop down from its fastest speed, and has gotten to where this lens is at its sharpest.  I shot for a paper years ago, and we used 35 mm and 50 mm for 90+ of the time.  I use my 45-200 mm to shoot birds at my bird feeder and when I go to the mountains, but most of the time I leave it in my big bag that I take when traveling in the car.  When I go uptown, I take just the one camera with one lens mounted, and it looks like it is going to be the 25 mm most of the time.  Really a great lens.  They all work well when shot on my G3 camera.  The 14-45 mm zoom is good for a kit lens, but I almost never use it as I really like primes better than zooms.

www.photosbypike.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow