Canon EF 8-15 L lens or Canon EF-S 10-22 for landscape shots (mountains)

Started Jan 29, 2013 | Questions thread
TStott
Forum MemberPosts: 71Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon EF 8-15 L lens or Canon EF-S 10-22 for landscape shots (mountains)
In reply to asad137, Jan 29, 2013

asad137 wrote:

My wife is planning a trip out to the Canadian Rockies this summer and I was wondering on what the best lens would be...

The 10-22 is a nice lens at the hefty price of approximately $1000 but if I ever upgrade to full frame it's another lens I would want to replace. I currently have the EF-S 15-85 as well so from my wife's perspective (speculation) I'm spending $1000 for an additional 5mm. Let the jokes begin...

The 8-15mm is also a very nice lens for around $1500 and would work if I ever upgraded to a FF camera. It has a wider focal length and a true L lens but I'm also not a huge fan of the fisheye look. Having said that I'm not sure it would look fisheye on a crop sensor (60D) and would appreciate people's thoughts and experiences here.

Another option is to find an EF 10-22 Tamron, Tokina or Sigma which would be portable to FF and maybe cost a bit less. and I'd be open to suggestions there as well.

I don't think you will be happy with the 8-15 if you don't like the fisheye look. Even on a crop sensor, the distortion is quite pronounced. Check out TDP's review:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-8-15mm-f-4-L-USM-Fisheye-Lens-Review.aspx

About 1/4 of the way down the page, there's a series of pictures at various focal lengths (the default picture is of a house). The middle row of mouseover links below the picture shows what it looks like on a crop-sensor Canon (and, conveniently, a direct comparison to the 10-22mm).

I'm curious as to where you get the price of $1000 for the 10-22mm? Not US dollars, maybe? The list price of the lens is only US$860, and B&H sells it for $680.

As an alternative to the Canon 10-22, a lot of people seem to like the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8.

Yes, Canadian's are taxed to death and our prices are higher in general.  We're paying the equivalent of $4.73 per gallon for gas in Ontario.

Henry's and other suppliers have the lens for $989 or there abouts.

Thanks for the link, I've gone through and looked at the various lenses.  I was hoping that the 3rd party lenses would be an EF mount but there doesn't seem to be such a thing all are for crop sensors only.

With that I the reviews are all pointing towards the Canon EF-S 10-22mm.

Thanks for the very helpful link and reminding me of how much I get screwed on price.  Maybe it's worth purchasing in the U.S. next time I'm down there.

TStott's gear list:TStott's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow