Guidenet
Forum ProPosts: 13,117Gear list
Like?
Re: Lens suggestion: wide angle for vacation
In reply to Younster10, Jan 29, 2013

Younster10 wrote:

Guidenet wrote:

Younster10 wrote:

I forgot to mention, it shouldn't cost to much on about 300 euros give or take.

Thanks

What is your kit lens? It's probably just fine around 18-24mm wide angle. You've already got it so it's free from here on out and probably a better lens than you can purchase for your budget.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

I got the 18-105 and a 50 f1.8G. the kit lens isn't fast enough for most indoor shots (is say most). Yes it's sharp no complains about that but I would like a small prime for the indoor shots in dimly lit situations.

Well now, your 18-105 f/3.5-5.6 is a VR lens with f/3.5 at the wide end. That's only 2/3 of a stop more than a 24 f/2.8 or 20 f/2.8 prime lens which is not enough to worry about. Your ISO can take care of that and VR will easily tump that on static subjects, portraits and the like.

No, they just don't make a reasonably priced fast wide prime for your camera. The wider you go  the more expensive it becomes to make the lens fast. A 24 f/1.4 which would be 2 2/3 stops faster than what you have will cost you closer to 2000 Euros and not be as wide as what you have.

You have the cheapest fairly wide and fairly fast lens right now. You just need to learn how to use it. You might also wish to learn how to use a good external flash which would be money much better spent, IMO. The Nikon SB700 comes to mind.

You'd have to go to FX full frame to be able to make use of less expensive wides like the Nikon 28 f/1.8 at around 800 Euros or the Sigma 35 f/1.4 at close to 1000 Euros. They are just not wide on a crop camera lke yours.

You could maybe get a Samyang or something 14 f/2.8 but it's manual focus and a little more than your budget. That's about the only thing there is.

Seriously, learn to use what you have. It's a superb wide and fairly fast lens when you're wide. It's considered probably sharper than many of the old primes you'd be looking at. Just set your zoom to 18 and f/3.5 and you'll have exactly what you need without spending more cash. Really. Believe me.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow