DA* 16-50mm SDM failure.... finally happened to me..

Started Jan 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jim Radcliffe
Forum ProPosts: 11,396Gear list
Like?
Re: DA* 16-50mm SDM failure.... finally happened to me..
In reply to Russell Evans, Jan 29, 2013

Russell Evans wrote:

Jim Radcliffe wrote

It seems the SDM is not quite up to the challenge of moving that much glass around and maybe a stronger SDM is needed for this lens. Your thoughts?

I've always thought the issue was corrosion in the motor, not the power of the motor. A few hot to cold transitions and there probably will be enough condensation in the lens to cause issues, or maybe it is just inventory handling at the factory that exposes the motors to some type of humidity, storage, transport, ... The gap in the motor is pretty small, the way the lenses were able to blow out the SDM circuit in the K20D, the way you can sometimes coax the lenses back to life, the slowing and final failure, just doesn't sound like a motor power issue to me. Gut feeling and nothing to back it up other than what I noted here.

With the lens firmware hack you can turn the SDM off and use the screw driven AF. Keep a couple of SD cards with the modified and unmodified firmware and just turn the SDM off and on as needed. Do you always need a silent lens?

Thank you
Russell

Russell, I am simply not that adventurous.. besides, while I use FA Ltd lenses, I am not a big fan of the noise the screw drive makes.  I've gotten used to it but still prefer a "quiet" AF system.

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe
http://www.boxedlight.com
The ability to 'see' the shot is more important than the gear used to capture it.

Jim Radcliffe's gear list:Jim Radcliffe's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-E2 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow