For a safari which lens??

Started Jan 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
RichLI
Forum MemberPosts: 61Gear list
Like?
Equipment for Tanzania
In reply to Antony John, Jan 29, 2013

So I will be going to Tanzania this summer; Tarangire and Lake Manyara National Parks, Ngorongoro Crater and the Serengetti (plus some time on the beach in Zanzibar...).

We'll be safariing in a private vehicle, just the two of us, beanbags, etc. and the guide so plenty of ability to move around to shoot.

People I know who have gone have recommended a 500m lense; for me that will mean:

• Expect to buy the Sigma 150-500 for my new D600.
  • Not going for the 80- 400 nikkor as did want 500mm without a tc ; opinions on this choice?
  • The 200-400 or 500 nikkors while of course agree they IQ superior are huge/heavy and I also dont want to rent,
  • I've used the sigma and produces very acceptable iq. Caveat of course is needs light.

MY D300 as second body for my wife with:

• 18-200 - mated likely with a tc 1.4 - so effectively 420mm on d300
  • I have the non-vr 70-300G which I could alternatively bring but wasnt happy with results on another trip and also dont want to bring this and the 18-200
  • 28-85
  • monopod
  • flash
  • extra batteries, caps, cards, etc.
  • likely either a 1tb drive or maybe a notebook; not sure yet

Cant wait and am practicing my technique to be ready.

RichLI's gear list:RichLI's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow