800mm f/5.6...lighter than 600mm f/4....nice!

Started Jan 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
Daniel Clune
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,435Gear list
Like?
Re: Only $5K more than Sony 500/4 !
In reply to Dennis, Jan 29, 2013

Dennis wrote:

Daniel Clune wrote:

My 2008 Honda Fit sport cost me about 16k. 18K for a lens, yikes.

Years ago, I attended a "Nikon School" seminar. (I wasn't even shooting Nikon back then). One segment was a 15 minute slide show & talk on what you can do with a 600/4. The instructor told us that after a previous seminar, he was taken to task by an attendee to complained that he wasted her time talking about a lens that costs as much as a small car. His reply: "Do you need a small car ?" Point being, most people won't need the lens and won't spend on it, but some people will decide they want it and will figure out a way to buy it.

Do you know people with boats, snowmobiles, motorcycles, ATVs or other expensive toys ? I wouldn't spend $18K on a lens, because I don't do photography seriously enough to warrant it. But some do.

- Dennis

-- hide signature --

Hey iam not saying don't buy it but seriously you had betterĀ  make at least 100 grand a year to be in the ballpark to buy such a lens. But even at 100K a year 18K for one lens is still allot of money. My sigma 300-800 I used to have was quite a nice lens and very sharp. It cost me used 4 grand and a zoom to boot. I would buy another Sigma 300-800 over this 18 grand one any day. Sure the Nikon will be a LITTLE better but not that much better. Its for the rich. You need your head examined if you say make only 50K a year and buy this for your hobby. Only thing you mentioned above that is over 18 grand are boats which you can get a 30 year loan for. I know several that have such loans for large boats and its more like a lease than anything else.But hey if you got it spend it. But it seems to me this is more a status symbol lens for Nikon. If Nikon sells more than say 2000 of these world wide I would be shocked.

-- hide signature --
 Daniel Clune's gear list:Daniel Clune's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Epson Stylus Photo R1900
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow