Why What Works (Luminous Landscape), a comment

Started Jan 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
Vlad S
Senior MemberPosts: 3,119Gear list
Like?
Re: Rules vs. insights
In reply to amalric, Jan 29, 2013

amalric wrote:

I think that LL was after a three pronged, simple structure, that people can easily commit to memory.

The Triangle of Exposure is another one. You'd be surprised how many don't know the basics. And yet I am sure they'd want to increase the number of keepers.

In the context of a short and basic class I think those concepts are quite helpful. But IMO it is important to be careful with words, and not to call them "rules." That's why I highlighted the word "insights" that you used in the beginning. They are just stepping stones, open ended propositions. Students, especially new to the area of study, tend to take the words of the instructor as the ultimate and final truth, beyond which nothing exists. For me it is always important to make sure that the student understands that it is not an ossified and dogmatic system.

Vlad

Vlad S's gear list:Vlad S's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow