Mac Mini: Please help me figure out where I should invest my upgrade?

Started Jan 3, 2013 | Questions thread
Alpha Doug
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,147Gear list
Like?
Re: Mac Mini: Please help me figure out where I should invest my upgrade?
In reply to JulesJ, Jan 29, 2013

While it is always good to maximize you hardware speeds, don't ignore just trying to optimize your preference settings.  For instance, if you have your preferences in LR set to render previews at full resolution, it will eat up horrendouse amounts of processor time for nothing.  Set your preview resolution for no larger than your actually monitor resolution, and I tend to set my preview generation in the import dialogue to "Standard".  If you set it to Minimal, everytime you open and image for editing it will take a long time to render.  If you set it to Maximum, it will take a long time to render all your images just after import (think get some coffee time), but then when you open up and image full screen, it will not take any time at all.  Standard is sort of in the middle of that time frame.  Certainly upgrade your hardware if neccessary, but first, optimize your software settings.  Some of the sluggishness of CS5/6 is that they are now using GPU cycles to offload some processing.  If you don't have a fast GPU with lots of VRAM, that can slow things down also.  Share memory GPUs are the slowest.  I seem to remember that some versions of the Mini have both.  If so, switch off the shared memory GPU.

-- hide signature --

Only my opinion. It's worth what you paid for it. Your mileage may vary! ;-} www.dougwigton.com/

Alpha Doug's gear list:Alpha Doug's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow