What's the quality that gives some lenses (like Minolta G) a "3D" look?

Started Jan 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
gil
gil
Forum ProPosts: 16,651Gear list
Like?
Since photos interpretation is so subjective, it depends on one's perception and...(more)
In reply to arie, Jan 29, 2013

interpretation of what is a 3D look. To me, I have to perceive some kind of depth on the subject and on its interaction to the foreground and background. Usually when I see good graduation from foreground to smoother (bokeh-filled) background, it is easier for me to believe there is that 3D feeling but then it may not be for others.

This has a bit of 3D feel for me as it blurs better the background and thereby isolating much the subject and related focal plane. I use only the Bigma at 300+mm.

While this is one of my favorite eagle shot and has some depth, the uniform background somehow diminish my perception of my own 3D feel. Also used Bigma.

Although with uniform background and taken with the Sigma 50mm f2.8 macro, the interaction of light, shadow and forms gives me that 3D feeling (but then that is only me).

This was taken with Hasselblad Carl Zeiss Sonnar 150mm f4. The lens' quality contributed to the good sharpness and creamy bokeh that gives me that 3D feel (again, my own 3D feel).

In summary, it depends on the perspective, interpretation, tools, etc.

cheers,

gil

-- hide signature --

Cheers, gil - San Jose, CA Cheap Lens, JPG and 100% Handholding Provocateur Like happiness, photography is often better created than pursued.

gil's gear list:gil's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a6000 Sony a77 II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow