Film vs D800E

Started Jan 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rich42
Regular MemberPosts: 205
Like?
Re: I want to try film, but...
In reply to chlamchowder, Jan 29, 2013

chlamchowder wrote:

Sometimes I go out to eat, sometimes I cook myself.

There is something about buying the ingredients, choosing a recipe, mixing ingredients, controlling the temperature, stirring the pot, etc. that makes the meal more enjoyable. It may not taste as good a fine restaurant, but it is somehow just as satisfying.

Is cooking a meal suffering, too?

I get the enjoyment from self processing film and seeing the results.

But I'm in a college residence hall right now, which means a light proof environment would be difficult to come by. I might also take some flak for bringing in tanks of not-so-nice chemicals.

Currently, I'm a pretty dedicated digital shooter. Particularly for shooting action, the speed that digital gives is very nice. I would not run my film camera in continuous mode - I'd go through my roll of film before I knew it. My film camera also doesn't have the awesome AF system that's in the D600. Film is really just a curiosity thing right now, and I don't see myself shooting more than a few rolls over the next few months. I don't think I should go for a full darkroom setup.

My first SLR was a Pentax H3V:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TzkgySzB5U

The "v" in the name meant the camera had a self timer. (whoopie). I was going to get an H3, but the new model had just come out and cost just $20 more ($159) and I splurged.

Manual camera in every way. Manual (thumb lever) film advance. No exposure meter. One used a hand-held meter or learned to (very accurately) judge the proper exposure - then manually set the camera. We really learned exposure theory then.

My only lens for a few years was a Soligor 105 mm "preset." I couldn't afford a real Pentax Takumar which had the ability to "automatically" stop down from wide open to taking aperture, then reopen (a technological "breakthrough" then). One had to manually stop down the instant before shooting, then manually reopen. At least the lens had a "preset ring" that limited the stop down rotation to the preselected value. Still older lenses required the photographer to count tactile detents down to the shooting aperture (try that without accidentally overshooting the stop!)

Finding darkroom space over a number of years while living in my parents' house, a number of apartments with my wife and children, college dorms was a challenge. I must have seen the inside of a hundred different permanent and temporary facilities. Like thousands of other photographers, I ran thousands, if not tens of thousands of rolls of film (which I loaded from 100' bulk rolls into reusable film cassettes) through manual and semi-manual cameras in all kinds of slow moving and fast-moving situations. We caught sports action very well, thank you very much.

I once got to operate a motor-drive Nikon that had a 100' film magazine. Talk about a machine gun!

Yeah, each new piece of camera technology over the years made life incrementally easier. But when we had to "do it all ourselves," man, did we learn photography.

Rich

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow