2013 AMA Supercross Round 3 - Anaheim Stadium

Started Jan 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
Airmel
Regular MemberPosts: 339Gear list
Like?
Re: Great shots!
In reply to Karaya, Jan 29, 2013

I've used both ZD 50-200mm and ZD 150mm for stadium races. On my first attempt under the lights, I had a keeper rate of maybe 1 out of 250 shots. Over the last couple of years I have slowly refined my technique and the keeper rate is fairly good now.

I generally use C-AF, '+', and IS off. I try to catch a moving bike, then track it for several seconds before taking the shot. Sometimes I use S-AF to catch a bike at the apogee of a triple. As I mentioned before, 1/500 or 1/640 is really nice for emphasizing wheelspin.

While the 50-200mm is more flexible for races, its smaller aperture cranks ISO up to 1600-2000 which I don't really care for. With the 150mm, I can shoot with ISO of 400-500 under the lights which improves the output considerably.

Another minor point in favor of the ZD 150mm is that it is 5.9 in. in length, so when the camera Nazi's at the stadium entrance tell you that you can't bring in lenses over 6 in. in length,  you can tell them you've got that covered.

Thanks for the nice comments.

-- hide signature --

AirMel

Airmel's gear list:Airmel's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow