Sigma launches new ART versions of their 30mm and 19mm f2.8 and new 60mm f2.8 lenses

Started Jan 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 14,107
Like?
Re: Sigma launches new ART versions of their 30mm and 19mm f2.8 and new 60mm f2.8 lenses
In reply to RGBaker, Jan 29, 2013

RGBaker wrote:

OSS comes at a price. If it is done 'perfectly', you still pay a price in compromised optical path on most shots, unless you turn it off (which you should by default, IMHO, unless shooting video)

So if you turn it off, as you should, there's no impact*, and when you need it, there's a benefit.  (Of course, it would be nice if NEX provided a handy way to turn OSS on & off ... one disappointing thing on the A77 was that Sony moved OSS on/off from a switch to the menu).

*Granted, OSS designs could be compromised to allow for stabilization, but the 35 & 50mm lenses seem pretty good to me; the Sigma 30 is an f/2.8 lens and does not make for a fair comparison. Also, non-OSS designs are often enough compromised with far too many reports lately of "decentered samples" in reviews and tests.

I agree that 60/2.8 shouldn't be dismissed out of hand; it's equivalent to 90/4 on FF which allows for reasonably shallow DOF shots. (OTOH, I shoot 85/2 on APS-C and love the shallow DOF I get from it). But comparing 60/2.8 non-OSS ($ ?) to 50/1.8 OSS ($ 299) it's hard to see a strong case for the 60. (I prefer 60mm over 50, but probably would not buy an f/2.8 prime).

- Dennis

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow