GH2 or GH3 for film ?

Started Jan 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
johndfrey
Forum MemberPosts: 63
Like?
Re: I have considered this and bought a second GH2 in December ($500, B&H).
In reply to Corkcampbell, Jan 29, 2013

Along with traditional HD video cameras, I purchased and used GH1's and then GH2's in my video production business. I recently bought a GH3 and have found it to be a far better camera for video than the previous versions. The GH3 has better dynamic range, less noise and artifacts in the shadows, better high ISO performance, much higher bit-rate recording choices, and finally, 1080 60p and recordable HDMI out. In addition, there is better on-board camera audio control (finally a headphone jack - and it includes both real-time and "confidence" monitoring), the list goes on.

For handheld work, I find the larger size, added controls and overall ergonomics much improved. And, battery life is much longer than before . I am hired to produce a wide variety of video projects and I won't always use the GH3, but it is now much closer to being the "right camera for the job" than earlier versions. I also tested and then purchased both the 14-42mm and 45-175mm Vario X Power Zoom lenses, because, like it or not, the need for a smooth power zoom in some types of professional video will always be there. And, because I also shoot stills, I can now say I will use the GH3 for that as well.

Most of the reports on the high bit-rate hacks for the GH1 and GH2 come from users who are mostly concerned with "finally making their movie" and are recording very short takes. The Gh3 moves beyond that.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow