Who here came from Nikon to 5D, 6D and are happy or not?

Started Jan 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
Kabe Luna
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,322Gear list
Like?
Corrections on corrections
In reply to schmegg, Jan 29, 2013

schmegg wrote:

C D M wrote:

Came to Canon (5D2) from Nikon and wholly regret the decision. Reasons are all handling issues. There are modes of operation that have been common on even the lowest end Nikons that are either not possible on Canon or are only just now beginning to be implemented at the top end of the Canon spectrum (and sometimes not implemented well). Some of these issues that I've encountered are:

• No metering updates while adjusting ISO. Shutter and aperture values disappear when the ISO button is pressed, so you cannot actively see how ISO affects these values. Let's say in aperture priority mode you're currently metering 1/15sec at ISO 100 and want to bump ISO to get 1/100sec, you've got to either do some mental math to get the correct ISO setting or just guess and check
  • Custom mode settings reset on idle timeout. The custom modes are a great way to always start your shooting session with a default set of settings, but these are effectively unusable if you also have your LCD screen set to turn off automatically after a period of idle time. The idle timeout is treated as though the camera turns off. For instance, you may have a custom preset with manual exposure mode and your screen set to turn off after 30 seconds. Now if you go to compose a shot, all of your settings (including shutter, aperture, ISO, etc) will revert to whatever your custom mode default values if you dare have a 30 sec period of inactivity. There needs to be a distinction between "sleep" and "off." Right now there is only "off."
  • No auto ISO in manual mode. This has been partially added to the 5D3, but even then there is no exposure compensation with this feature.
  • No AE lock and hold. This has been added to the 5D3, but on my 5D2 AE lock readings alway expire after ~8 sec of inactivity. On Nikon, AE lock and hold keeps AE locked photo to photo, which is absolutely necessary for panoramas and all other instances where photos will be presented side by side.
  • No 2nd curtain sync with generic flash units/triggers. Have to have eTTL compatible equipment to use this mode, which is silly and IMO SCS should be the default mode.
  • Metering white balance from photo requires diving into menus. On Nikon this was accessible from the white balance button- just hold down to be prompted to take a reference photo. It was really very convenient!

I honestly don't think Canon's user interface was designed by photographers.

Just a few corrections for anyone interested in the latest Canon bodies (and not one that´s five years old or so).

Point 1 is wrong. Metering updates are available whilst setting ISO.

Actually, CDM is correct: Pressing ISO removes aperture value, shutter speed and manual metering scale indications from the viewfinder and top deck LCD, leaving only FEC and ISO (the two parameters enabled by that button, BTW). Are you aware of some custom setting that defeats this default behavior? If so, please share with the rest of us.

Point 2 is wrong. Custom mode settings are retained - even after the battery is removed from the camera for an extended period.

Again, CDM is correct: When the camera goes into sleep mode, any changes made to controls and setting in a custom mode reverts to the defaults programmed into that particular mode, including basic exposure parameters: aperture value, shutter speed and ISO. Alas, the solution to this "problem" is painfully obvious: turn off the sleep/auto-off timer (which is independent of the metering timer or the timer for the rear LCD - neither of which affect settings made) in the custom modes so you keep your settings for the duration of your shooter session.

Point 3 is wrong. Auto-ISO is available in manual mode - though exposure compensation in this mode is not (grrr).

You are correct here in the case of the 5DIII (don't know about Auto-ISO on earlier cameras because it's not a feature I use).

Point 4 is easily worked around by using the camera in manual mode. So much so that it´s just not an issue.

I also use manual mode for easy exposure consistency shot-to-shot. However, I shoot manually at least 95% of the time. I can see how an AE shooter would want to be able to easily hold an AE calculation across multiple frames. And it has, indeed, been added to the 5DIII.

Ponts 4 and 5 might actually be correct, don´t know for sure as I´m a natural light photographer and shoot raw.

So there you go.

-- hide signature --
 Kabe Luna's gear list:Kabe Luna's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Why?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow