Started Jan 29, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rextal
Junior MemberPosts: 39
Like?
17-40 bottom right corner
Jan 29, 2013

I tried a 17-40L from a reputable camera store and the bottom right corner image quality is horrendous.  I'm talking a sudden distortion, not gradual geometry issue, and also it's not present in other corners.  I would have said it's an errant defect in a single lens however I've now see pics on the web where the bottom right is worse than the other corners from others.  However I do realise I'm now looking for it.

The issue is there with all apertures, very obvious at f8, still noticeable at f11 (see below crops) and doesn't really start to go away until f16.  My eye can't help but be drawn to it.  If it were a top corner where sky would most often be it would be far less of an issue.

So my question is if this is a known issue with the lens.  Yes it's an L, but it is a cheap one.

It's on a 6D body and I don't think it's the body as a friend lent me their Tokina 16-28 which is sharp all over and whilst I was at the shop I also tried the Tokina 17-35 since it was there next to the Canon 17-40.

I would have thought they'd have a good copy of the lens for people who like to take test shots.

You can say this is minimal but on a poster print it will show up like a sore thumb.

Sample shots.

Canon 17-40 @ f11 bottom right corner

Tokina 17-35 @f11 bottom right corner

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow