Started Jan 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Digital Nigel
Senior MemberPosts: 2,211Gear list
Like?
After Pompeii, my RX100 goes to Herculaneum
Jan 29, 2013

I recently posted a set of pics that I took in Pompeii that has now been quite widely viewed. The following day, I saw Herculaneum, which was also destroyed in AD 79 by Vesuvius in a more dramatic fashion, as it was engulfed in high speed, very hot pyroclastic flows, from which there is no escape. However, these do less harm to buildings, as they flow like a liquid, so some remarkable details survive. It also meant that the city was encased in solid rock, rather than consolidated dust like Pompeii, so it's much harder to excavate. The accessible site is therefore much smaller than Pompeii, and much less visited:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/sets/72157632637316219/

Note some pics taken in very dark, mined tunnels at high ISOs and low shutter speeds. All pics in the set are hand-held, and all taken with my RX100.

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +7 more
Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow