Help please: 75/1.8 instead of 35-100?

Started Jan 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mark Chan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,651
Like?
Re: Help please: 75/1.8 instead of 35-100?
In reply to pinnacle, Jan 29, 2013

pinnacle wrote:

Mark Chan wrote:

One thing that I feel I need to mention is the limitations of the OLY 75mm f1.8.

My recent experience with the 75mm f1.8 has been very sobering. I shot in broad daylight and naively (read amateurishly) used f1.8 - f2.5 for images.

The shots came out overexposed and unsharp due to harsh light entering the large piece of glass. I supposed getting a hood could help, but really, with the discussions that came in, the physical limitation of large aperture in strong light should be a concern.

So if you are planning for using it a lot for outdoor shots in good light I'd suggest you consider the 35-100mm instead.

As it is, I keep the 75mm as a portrait lens out of the bright sun.

Regards

The 75mm lens can be stopped down just like any other lens in the bright sun. If you want to be able to use a wide aperture for certain kinds of portraits, use neutral density filters to facilitate that desire. If you are using any lens in bright sun, use a lens shade. It will improve image contrast properties and avoid or reduce potential issues with flare. I bought a third party $40.00 shade which is half the Olympus price which works fabulously.

The notion that the larger aperture of the 75 in comparison to the 35-100 is a potential liability is ridiculous.

Please think something like this through more carefully before you click the "post" button. Sheesh!

Dan

-- hide signature --

Life is good.

Lol

I am writing this directly from experience. I have the 25 45 and 75. And as mentioned in my post, I had naïvely thought using the lens wide open was always going to work wonders. It turned out that EVEN  with a ND filter, I would get overly soft images in spite of the conditions. This according to other members of preview seemed a result of lateral CA.

I have experienced similar images on all three lens and have always considered it weird why I got such images. It turns out that some lens can't be used wide open even if one has ND filters or a hood (both could help minimize the effect).  the oly cameras only reaching 1/4000 doesn't help either. Fyi I had an nd filter with 4-8x and it didn't help at all. That 40 dollar hood might have though. Or not.

As the OP or someone else mentioned, the 75mm gives just the right amount of DOF to produce a fabulous image wide open. I love this lens for indoors and under moderate lighting conditions such as overcast days. Much to my surprise, it doesn't work well in broad daylight.  Of course stepping down helps, but then that'd be introducing greater dof into the image and you don't want that.  the 35-100 at 2.8 100mm could make up for this through the greater zoom and hence narrower dof.

Oh but what do I know, I don't think before I type as has been suggested.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow