ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
cgarrard
Forum ProPosts: 14,367Gear list
Like?
Full frame stuff...
Jan 29, 2013

It's Alpha A850 time for me :).

A good friend of mine looks to be selling his and it's quite possible I'll end up with it. This is a personal purchase, not for review or anything (It's not easy separating personal cameras from those for "review" let me tell you...).

Since my A900 has been gone I've tried a few FF digital cameras to get the feel for that market. I find my personal preferences typically end up being more minimalist in nature, and the A850 is probably the best fit considering my current investment in glass and such.

Recently I've spent some time with the A99 and Canon 6D, both cameras were seriously impressive, with the 6D being more for the subdued minimalist while the A99 was just flat out a tech force to be reckoned with. At least, that the impression I got from both. Either is very capable in the right hands of course, and both have a lot more tech than the A850 does as well.

Although the A99's viewfinder is without a doubt, hands down, the best EVF experience out there to date... I do miss the big optical view of the A900. That being said the A99's viewfinder is so impressive I'd not hesitate on that camera because it has an EVF. It's more refined than the A77's optically (the exit optics) and contrast wise as well. The build quality is absolutely impeccable. When the price comes down on that camera, it's going to be hard to pass up.

Until then, It will be nice to have that A850 back in my hands again. I'm sure it will be fun to use after some time has passed since I sold my A900. Both have become much more "affordable" on the market as well. It's a good time for those to get into FF because the used market has quite a few very good cameras available.

Cheers!

Carl

Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow