Underwater housing - anyone used one?

Started Jan 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
LarsPolarBear
Regular MemberPosts: 142Gear list
Like?
Re: Underwater housing - anyone used one?
In reply to PSK, Jan 29, 2013

PSK wrote:

I recently went shopping for an underwater case for my S100. A dive shop near me had the Canon and Ikelite housings. The Ikelite seemed to be much more solid and better built than the Canon, although it was heavier. I bought the Ikelite and used it on a recent dive trip and had no issues whatsoever with it. Highly recommended (as they say on dpreview)!

PSK,

I have never had a Ikelite casing, but have seen many at dive centers and I agree that they look quite sturdy. However, depending on the camera they can be much more expensive than the Canon casing (e.g. G1X - more than double) and as you said they are more bulky since they appear to be all made around a cubic mold and then customized buttons for each model. If you want to have the best casing for you camera the Canons (and also the Ikelite) are not it. There are beautiful casings around from other brands (e.g. Patima, Nauticam, Recsea...) that go deeper and have more connection options. Having said that, the Canon is a good, cheap and reliable solution.

LarsPolarBear's gear list:LarsPolarBear's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow