Opinion on replacing Minolta AF 100-400 APO.

Started Jan 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
Calico Jack
Senior MemberPosts: 1,714Gear list
Like?
Re: Opinion on replacing Minolta AF 100-400 APO.
In reply to yihlee, Jan 29, 2013

Sigma AF 100-300mm F4 EX DG (IF) APO (you can add a Sigma 1.4x EX DG teleconverter).  It's a superb lens (I've owned about 7 copies over the years).  IMHO, THE best tele-zoom and it's sharp throughout the focal range at all apertures, and you can't say that with more expensive silver SSM G or it's little brother.  My advice is to keep away from anything that slows down focus acquisition, so that means SSM/HSM/USD.  The next best I've used to the Sigma is a Minolta AF 300mm F/2.8 APO & HS G.  The Tokina AT-X 300/2.8 version and the Minolta AF 300/4 APO HS G both suffer heavily from CA/PF.  I use telephoto a lot (in fact it's my main lens type) so am speaking from years of experience with numerous lens types and models, so you know why my recommendations have been made, and not from reviews.  If it doesn't perform at all focal lengths (zoom) or suffers from CA/F (zoom or prime), then it's both a waste of money and you won't get the maximum use from it.

The next problem is for you to try before you buy and/or make a decision, so good luck with that.

-- hide signature --

Mark @ Sonolta * Photography

Calico Jack's gear list:Calico Jack's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP AF 17-35mm F/2.8-4 Di LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +25 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow