my love-hate relationship with the RX1

Started Jan 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
ianbrown
Senior MemberPosts: 1,898
Like?
Re: my love relationship with the RX1
In reply to sean lancaster, Jan 29, 2013

sean lancaster wrote:

I had an RX1 for 2 months, but I no longer own one. I'd still like to have one, but AF is the one factor that has me trying to figure out whether I should just go with a bigger FF camera and deal with the bulk to get good AF or whether the small form factor of the RX1 is enough to overcome the poor AF capabilities. I am still on the fence, but I am also in no hurry to decide. I want an articulating LCD and the A99 provides that as well as anyone. But the Sigma 35/1.4 isn't out yet and the Zeiss 50 isn't appearing until spring. So, I'll wait. I could still end up deciding on the RX1 as it's a much cheaper option than the A99 with a lens or 2 (RX1 is MUCH CHEAPER). I'd really like to see Sony release a firmware update that addresses AF (e.g., like the X100 AF update). I don't have much hope for that, though. The RX1 image quality seems second to none when I do get AF to work. Hmmm. Hmmm.

Sean you know how many cameras I have had over the past 18 months and always found a fault with them.

yes the RX1 focus is not lightening quick but unless you are using it for focus tracking on fast moving subjects it's more than acceptable. It is quick in good light but I agree it is sluggish in low light.

I guess all our needs are different and I must admit I don't think I can get away with this being my only camera due to fixed lens. However when I look through my image data 61% of my images are taken at 35mm or below.

I mainly shoot Landscape, and city/street stuff but I also like to do some wild life, so I need to look to supplement rather than compete with the RX1.

as you know the IQ is stunning, I also got the EVF which makes framing more rewarding.

my thoughts are that you may return to the RX1, although it lacks a few things it is still the best compact camera in terms of IQ.

Good luck

Ian

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow