Paper Roll Backdrop issue

Started Jan 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Barrie Davis
Forum ProPosts: 21,460
Like?
Smoothing that paper.
In reply to DecibelPhoto, Jan 29, 2013

DecibelPhoto wrote:

Artistically, you may not want an evenly lit BG. I don't think that is the solution.

Paper will not always do this. Generally speaking, a new roll being opened for the first time does not experience this issue. The older a roll is, the more it's been used, and the more humid the air is, the more likely you will see this. Sometimes it is just there, and there isn't much you can do.

Unwind the drop you intend to use and let it hang for a couple of days ahead of time. This will allow it to temper front and back to the ambient air's moisture content, which is enough to get it to smooth out.

I find this works whether the zone is centrally heated, or not.

However, when you get shooting in UN-heated areas, the previously flat paper may dry from the middle, especially if warm lights are focused there. This leads to shrinking in the middle of the paper, with the outsides of the material staying the same size.. the result is it develops a "belly" like a sail for a boat.

If this happens, any that is on the floor can be physically stretched and stuck down with tape pulling it flat... (needs assistance to achieve)

... but if a belly from local drying occurs in the drop hanging vertically and loose, you just have to wait 'till it dries equally all over and smooths out again. This is a pain, but extra light (heat) on it will speed things up.

I hope this helps.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Baz
"Ahh... But the thing is, these guys were no ORDINARY time travellers!"

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow