Why What Works (Luminous Landscape), a comment

Started Jan 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
amalric
Forum ProPosts: 10,806
Like?
Re: Rules vs. insights
In reply to Vlad S, Jan 29, 2013

I cannot quote such a long message, so I will be brief. My post was not about setting iron rules at all, but discussing those of Reichmann. I might soon have to teach basic photography, and so I need some orientation.

I am self taught, so I don't feel distant at all from those who are. However when you teach you must be effective, and identify clear fields of action, by which you can improve skills provably. If one has taste and education it is a considerable help, but even if those are absent, photography has definitely a set of techniques that can be learned. Time being short it is good to identify two or three clusters like Reichmann did, and work on those.

Separately I criticised over reliance on cameras, but I am not alone. Ming Thein wrote one of his enlightening articles just on this. By exercising the same skills over a range of cameras he reached the stage, where he could work with any of them, and thus he was freed from the dependence. I think it is an appreciable goal, since ars longa, vita brevis - one cannot lose it in a range of never ending features.

Better learn what can be carried across a range of brands and models, and you will probably be able to work and feel at ease even with film, or the adaptive optics of the future.

I'll probably rely on this little treasure, which is well known across the forums:

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/

In the end it must be like in Herrigel's Zen and the Art of the Archery, or any mental and physical discipline. One needs constant practice, and also a set of rules, until one does not need them anymore.

Am.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow