Future of Four-Thirds

Started Jan 21, 2013 | Questions thread
ctlow
Junior MemberPosts: 38Gear list
Like?
Re: Future of Four-Thirds, tea leaves and lottery numbers
In reply to SirSeth, Jan 29, 2013

SirSeth wrote:

Compared with much larger sensors yes, but not slightly larger. People talk about APS-C as if it's a standard size but in actuality they very. Some sensors considered APS-C are closer to 4/3rds in size than other APS-C sensors. (Like Sigma APS-C). The size difference between 4/3rds and APS-C is often more in peoples heads who want to feel superior about their Rebel or what have you. But I understand this perception because Olympus bought noisy sensors from Panasonic for years. The OM-D is as good at high ISO as the best APS-C sensors, which to some is a miracle but it's more that they bought from Sony a much less noisy sensor. Of course when you start comparing to 35mm, we are talking a huge leap in area and there is a limitation (though not as much as you might think unless you really want to push RAW files in extreme situations). Basically, there is a correlation, but it's not linear. You have to increase the area very significantly to get small gains and there just isn't much in the size difference between APS-C and 4/3rds.

Cheers,

Seth

Thanks, Seth. Very helpful.

I've looked around the Net a bit and am having trouble coming up with references for the above.

Where did you learn that information?

The bit about sensor size I'm sure is verifiable from "technical information" available for various cameras. But what about sensor quality? I would like to read more about that.

Charles

ctlow's gear list:ctlow's gear list
Canon PowerShot A720 IS Olympus E-620 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow