Forum ProPosts: 21,631Gear list
Like?
Re: Noob - Understanding EF-S vs EF for future lens purchase
In reply to f3nr15, Jan 28, 2013

f3nr15 wrote:

Olga Johnson wrote:

f3nr15 wrote:

Thank you all;

The Tamron is a fantastic lens, which I had previously used with my 1000D. However, considering that I'm keen to take advantage of the video functions of the 650D, I'm looking at changing to the 18-135mm STM instead. However, I love shooting at f2.8 on the Tamron, so would like to keep a fast prime handy as well.

Now, just because I'm a bit stupid, and some of the responses here seem to be conflicting -

If I take two lenses - Canon 18-85mm EF-S and Canon 24-85mm EF and take the same photo with each (same subject/image/lighting/lens settings) on my 650D at 40mm, will the resulting image be the same (size, not quality)?

Yes, it will be the same. You may want to consider the 40mm f/2.8 lens. It's an STM lens just like your 18-135 STM lens. Works well with the 650D.

-- hide signature --

Olga

Great, thanks Olga.

Another (stupid?) question whilst I think about it -

Sticking to the above hypothetical scenario about the EF vs EF-S zoom lenses, as I take a photo with each lens at 40mm, will the appearance through the viewfinder also be the same?

Yes, more or less. That's because the focal length is defined with the lens focused at infinity, or something technical like that.  But that's also true if you were to compare 2 EF lenses or 2 EFS lenses.

-- hide signature --

Olga

Olga Johnson's gear list:Olga Johnson's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS M Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
MacNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow