Started Jan 28, 2013 | Questions thread
maccam
Regular MemberPosts: 362
Like?
Re: Sigma 19mm f/2.8 and 30mm f/2.8 converters
In reply to renzyd, Jan 28, 2013

renzyd wrote:

Hi.

I recently bought the NEX-6 + 16-50mm PZ (loving it) as an "upgrade" to my Nikon D80. I appreciate the lightness especially when traveling. I also bought the Sigma 19mm f/2.8 and 30mm f/2.8 from B&H. Brought the 19mm in a photowalk and I loved it! I have a number of questions.

1. After reading the threads here, I learned that the 19mm is compatible with the Panasonic Wide Angle Conversion Lens (DMW-GWC1). Anyone have sample pictures here?

2. Is Sony's own E-mount Wide Angle Conversion Lens (VCL-ECU1) compatible with the Sigma? If yes, which one is a better deal, the Sony or Panasonic? The only advantage of the Sony that I can think of is I can use it with the other Sony lenses if I decided to buy more in the future.

3. I want to make my Sigma 30mm as a macro lens. Is it a good idea? I'm thinking 30mm is too short of a focal length for macro photography. If ever, what's a good macro conversion lens that I can buy? Is the Panasonic Macro Conversion Lens (DMW-GMC1) compatible with the Sigma?

Thank you!

I didn't think the combo would work but I put both of my close up lenses on the Sigma 30 and it was kind of a no deal. The 2 I used are the canon 250 D and the Raynox M 250. Both of these need step up and step down rings because of the difference in thread size. Even with the Rayonx (which is much more powerful than the Canon) the magnification just doesn't get it.

A combo that is really good is the E 55-210 with either of these conversion lenses on (again, you need step up and or step down rings to get them on). Now, for indoor macro of really small stuff like the insides of watches and parts of a coin or a stamp, the best thing you can do is get yourself a focusing rail. I've got a Minolta from the early 80's. Works great; and naturally, a sturdy tripod. The focusing rail does all the focusing. Use the bracket pro ap if you have it (but people did macro before bracket pro). Your depth of field will be incredibly shallow so practice a lot and have fun.

For bugs and the like hand held, the E 55-210 with a conversion lens of some sort and perhaps flash would do. There is (for me at least) a steep learning curve with macro. the 6's inboard flash will, no doubt, cast a shadow with that long of a lens so you are going to need a taller one. This is not necessary for indoor work but outdoor / handheld really benefits from it.

JAW

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow