Thom's take on the OM-D EM-5

Started Jan 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 17,088Gear list
Like?
Re: Thom's take on the OM-D EM-5
In reply to String, Jan 28, 2013

String wrote:

Yep, finally up and pretty well sums it up rather accurately IMO...

OM-D EM-5 Review

Thanks for the heads-up. Quite a few slip-ups in that review though. Here are some examples:

Thom says: "One of the big claims to fame on the E-M5 is the so-called five axis image stabilization, done at the image sensor. The first time I saw that marketing claim I thought perhaps the Olympus engineers had solved String Theory. The "strings" in that theory can exist in ten dimensions, after all (some versions of string theory require 26 dimensions).

Apparently a thesaurus isn't a common desktop tool in Japan. What Olympus means is that the sensor-based stabilization of the E-M5 uses five different sensor motions to compensate for camera movement. Those motions would move the sensor up/down, left/right, tilt it up/down, swivel it left/right, and rotate it."

My comment: While one may criticize Oly's terminology, Thom has completely misunderstood what the five axes refers to. The system can compensate for five different types of camera motion/shake: pitch, yaw, roll, vertical shift, and horizontal shift. Those are the five axes. But in order to do so, it moves the sensor in three different ways, not five: up-down, left-right and rotation around the optical axis. His ideas about a tilting or swiveling sensor are completely wrong.

Thom says: "You don't have to use the EVF: the E-M5 also sports a tillable 3" 610k dot OLED display. The OLED part makes it quite usable in bright light, unlike a lot of displays. The 610k dot bit is a bit behind some other LCDs, but I don't find it to be an issue given the clarity of the display."

My comment: Here Thom has missed that due to the display technology used, the 610k dot OLED is not inferior in terms of resolution to displays with some 900 k dots. DPR got it right. This is what they have to say in their review of the E-P3 (first page), which has the same display: "In addition, the E-P3 has a 614,000 dot OLED screen that is  touch-sensitive. This particular panel uses Samsung's Pentile dot layout to give VGA-equivalent resolution, coupled with capacitance-type touch technology similar to the Apple iPhone."

Thom says: "The Jekyl/Hyde nature of design shows up in other aspects, as well. The two command dials (front around the shutter release, the larger rear one towards the back of the body) are not marked. Why? Because they change in what they do. For example, you control the aperture in Aperture-priority mode with the rear dial; in Manual exposure mode you use the front dial. Nikon users will have a particularly difficult time with this, as they're used to a particular function always being controlled by a particular dial, not shifting around like it does on the E-M5."

My comment: Here Thom has missed that the dials are configurable on a per-mode basis. So Nikon users have nothing to fear. If you want a particular function to be controlled by a particular dial regardless of mode, you simply configure the camera that way.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow