When do Moonrise and Sunset Occur at Same Time and Place?

Started Jan 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
ron wrucke
Contributing MemberPosts: 947
Like?
Re: When do Moonrise and Sunset Occur at Same Time and Place?
In reply to dpdphoto, Jan 28, 2013

dpdphoto wrote:

I think your question is a very interesting one...but think about it while looking at your photo...What makes it work is that the sliver of the nearly new moon is a long angle away from where the sun is...which is probably the best thing for your image...if the moon were closer to the sun it would get obliterated. So, maybe the question is, when is the angle between this very thin moon and the sun the greatest (and when they are near the horizon).

I've been playing with The Photographer's Ephemeris (really a fantastic little program).  To replicate that image I posted, I just need to go find New Moons, and then go before or after looking for the setting moon to follow the setting sun by 45-60 minutes, based on the conditions that existed back in Sept 2008.  As I move away from the New Moon, the crescent gets larger, and so does the angle between the moon and the sun.  Like you say, if it is too near the sun, it is really going to be slim and I'll probably lose it to the glow of the sunset.  The question becomes how far away from the s'set can I get and still have a viable composition .. ??   Sounds like trial & error to me with a cooperating Mother Nature ..

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow