Why What Works (Luminous Landscape), a comment

Started Jan 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
Vlad S
Senior MemberPosts: 3,024Gear list
Like?
Rules vs. insights
In reply to amalric, Jan 28, 2013

amalric wrote:

Among the sites that foster photography, irrespective of gear, Michael Reichmann's has some wonderful insights:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/why_what_works.shtml

Are there rules, and who makes the rules? Then, if there are rules – who even cares? Isn't it enough to just do one's thing?

I think there's a lot of confusion because people take insights, or guidelines as if they were rules. Following rules creates a conforming image, but not necessarily an inspired one. Passion, empathy, aesthetic are more than rules, they are the product of our life experiences.

Consider "gesture" and "implication." Are they rules? How do we ensure these elements in an image? Or are they simply observations that cannot be taught, but grow in our minds as a result of observation and participation in the surrounding life? Is there a recipe for inserting implication in an image?

I think it was an interesting read in the sense of finding words to describe different aspects of an image, to put a finger on that je ne sais quoi. But I do not think that someone who was not able to see the "implication" before will suddenly become sensitive to it after reading the article.

Vlad

Vlad S's gear list:Vlad S's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow