My excellent adventure, to switch, or not to switch (systems).

Started Jan 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jeadm
Contributing MemberPosts: 752Gear list
Like?
Re: My excellent adventure, to switch, or not to switch (systems).
In reply to Sol, Jan 28, 2013

Sol wrote:

Hi Wafin,

As I'd said in the OP, going into this process, I was a pretty hard-core OVF guy. But I'm finding the EVF is pretty fun to use, got to admit.

Its been interesting to find out how much the EVF actually enhances your dealing with varying photographic situations. As a veteran photographer, part of my resistance to the EVF was that I enjoyed using my 20+ years photographic knowledge-base as part of the image making process. With the OVF, I still usually new what my image would look like in most shooting situations, even without the 'preview'. And probably, to some degree, felt the EVF was 'cheating' a bit. But I'm truly finding it completely fun to use. Creatively speaking, it's a whole new take on things. And it's also been kind of nice to have this new technology to master. Camera technologies, other than going from film to digital, for me, having been very incremental for a very long time. With the EVF system, and how Sony has chosen to approach it, that's a major shift in the Camera world. That's kind of cool.

‚ÄčThis, +1.

I think it's the single most significant adjustment to make since making the switch from film to digital.  But it isn't a bad thing.  The best way I can describe it is it's as if you're turning on a switch in a different part of your head that wasn't on before.

My first EVF was an little A33 impulse buy that I found on sale somewhere for a great price.  I had needs that correlated well with that decision but I still bought it somewhat on a lark.  I wasn't expecting much but I was intrigued about the underlying new tech, and I'm so glad I did.  I had shot with my older Minolta gear for years but was mostly using Canon by that time.  I didn't give up any of my Canon gear to do this, however.  I hedged my bets and I was far from going all in.

Your description mirrors my experience perfectly; it stimulated some new creative juices (with new technology to master) that just a normal body upgrade in the past did not.  And when some people would look at me a little sideways over what I was using, I found myself often saying to them "You know what?  Bottom Line: It's just fun to use this camera!"  This is no small thing.

I'm on my second Sony EVF now, and I'm still having a lot of fun with it.

Jeadm's gear list:Jeadm's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Sony SLT-A57 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sony DT 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow