Started Jan 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
Veducci
Contributing MemberPosts: 816Gear list
Like?
Re: Camera selection criteria
In reply to Francis Carver, Jan 28, 2013

Francis Carver wrote:

Veducci wrote:

when the LX7 became available for only $299 those of us who might normally give more thought and consideration to something else had the god given sense to recognize the opportunity to seize upon that super deal staring us in the face.

No way was I going to pay $450 for the LX7 when I already had a capable LX5 . The Sony RX100 at $650 had changed the way I looked at what small sensored cameras are now worth and I don`t think I`m alone.

Bottom line is I am quite satisfied with my LX7 , but only because I paid only $299.

Okay, so I am looking at the $450 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 with the 1/1.7-inch sensor myself for possible acquisition, the part I am not getting is, what does this camera might have got in common with the $650 Sony RX100 that has a whopping 1-inch sensor?

Also, what is your dividing line between "small sensor cameras" and "large sensor cameras?"

I understand the Lumix LX7 was on sale for $299 for a total of like 3 or 4 days, otherwise it is a $499 camera (with a $50 rebate going on right now). Thanks.

I think it`s clear that the 1" sensors in the Nikon J1/V1 and the newer J2/V2 along with the Sony RX100 deliver significantly more detail with less noise .  I won`t argue the point that the fast f/1.4 lens on the LX7 helps mitigate some advantages of the 1" sensor but I think at this point it`s wise to hold back on spending too much in anticipation of what I expect to  see coming later this year with regards to cameras with a 1" sensor.

Veducci's gear list:Veducci's gear list
Fujifilm X-A1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow